Sunday, May 22, 2022
UniqPaid - online rewards program

Uluru tourists draw controversy ahead of climb ban

Tourists to Australia’s Uluru have drawn controversy for seeking to climb the sacred indigenous site in the months ahead of a ban on the practice. Photos circulating online show lines of people snaking up Uluru, with some social media users comparing it to recent scenes on Mount Everest.

It has been criticised as disrespectful to Aboriginal people, who have long asked tourists not to climb. Locals say some tourists are dumping waste and camping illegally nearby. In 2017, the board of the Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park voted unanimously to end the climb because of the spiritual significance of the site. The ban will come into effect in October. The giant red monolith, known previously as Ayers Rock, has seen a rise in visitors since the decision was announced.

Twitter post by @rohwick: This really is nuts.The #Uluru climb two days ago. It closes for good in October.📷Glenn Minett/ABC Alice Springs

Glenn Minett, who photographed crowds on Uluru this week, told the BBC that a nearby campground appeared to be “bursting at the seams”. He added that several tourists had also been camping in truck stops in the area. “There is only one toilet block at the base of Uluru and the drains were blocked,” he said.

  • ‘This rock means everything to us’
  • Should I have climbed Uluru?

Tourism Central Australia chief executive Stephen Schwer told the ABC that an “influx of drive travel” had generated increased waste. “[Visitors] think they’re doing a good thing by free camping along the way; what they are actually doing is trespassing on pastoralist and joint-managed and protected land, and a lot of people don’t seem to be getting that message,” he said.

Photos cause anger

Many online criticised the climbers for not respecting the wishes of the Anangu people, the custodians of the land. One critic, Sally Rugg, tweeted: “Can you imagine if people started climbing over the Australian War Memorial?” Signs at the beginning of the climb request people abstain from going up as a mark of respect.

“It is an extremely important place, not a playground or theme park like Disneyland,” board chairman and Anangu man Sammy Wilson said in 2017, when the ban was announced. Parks Australia said the park received 70,000 more visitors in 2018 than it had the previous year. Statistics for recent months are not yet available.

More from author

Ambassador ‘has PM’s full support’ despite Trump criticism

Downing Street has reaffirmed its "full support" for the UK's ambassador to the US after Donald Trump...

How can Mobile app to ‘finds anti-cancer molecules in food’ in 2021

Mobile app 'finds anti-cancer molecules in food' A Mobile App that harnesses the unused processing power of idling...

Antoine Griezmann: Atletico reaction to Barcelona move ‘a pity’

Barcelona's Antoine Griezmann said former club Atletico Madrid's angry response to his transfer is "a pity." Griezmann joined Barca...

Tiger Woods shoots four-over at first PGA Tour play-off event

Tiger Woods endured a difficult return as he shot a four-over 75 in the first of the...

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Trends Now





Wimbledon 2019: Roger Federer will play Rafael Nadal in the semi-finals

Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal will meet at Wimbledon for the first time since the 2008 final after both advanced to the semi-finals. Federer...

4 Ways To Do Sport Also On Holiday

The hotels on the Adriatic Riviera Dynamism and physical activity are the fundamental requirements of a true sporting holiday. Sport lovers are...

Best Travel Destination in 2022 – The land of the Thunder Dragon

Best Travel destination 2022 Best Travel Destination: The land of the Thunder Dragon. A trip to the land of Thunder Dragon as your travel...

Dillian Whyte: WBC provisionally suspends status as interim world heavyweight champion

The WBC has provisionally suspended Dillian Whyte's status as the organisation's interim world heavyweight champion and mandatory challenger to Deontay Wilder. Whyte tested positive for...
%d bloggers like this: